Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Fastest Football Prospect in Central Texas!

Castroville Medina Valley's Steven Champlin (#32) is CenTex's 2014 fastest man!



While studying the class of 2014 football prospects in the Central Texas area, one athlete quickly caught the attention of TA’s Scouting Scoop. Quick, being the keyword. Steven Champlin is his name and the classification of quick might actually be an understatement of the young man’s game.
Champlin, of Medina Valley High School (Castroville), is a playmaker, simply put. A big playmaker, at that, capable of making jaw-dropping plays each time the ball is in his hands. Champlin is a nightmare for defensive backs who thrives in the open field; speed being his advantage.


The 6’0’’, 175 pound receiver’s 4.3 40 speed and overall quickness gave Champlin the ability to make a number of big plays for his team on the offensive side during the past season, which was able to spark the attention of next-level coaches.

“They like how much speed and quickness I bring to the table and they also like my hands,” said Champlin.
Though being a receiver prospect, unfortunately, due to the run-oriented offensive system at Medina Valley, Champlin wasn’t able to fully display his ability at the wideout position during his junior season. Rather, his speed and quickness were utilized more in the backfield, as a running back, and also in the kick/punt return game.
“Last season we ran the ball a lot and really only threw a few times a game. I mainly played running back because they wanted to use my speed on the outside,” commented Champlin.
Though playing out of position, he was still able to excel in the opportunities given to him throughout the offense. Coming from the backfield, Champlin racked up 498 rushing yards, scoring six touchdowns on the season. On special teams, he was able to completely blaze by defenders for a total of 539 return yards, scoring two touchdowns, one of which being a 100 yard return. However, even though his time lining up as a receiver was limited, he was still able to pull in four receiving touchdowns and total 225 receiving yards on the season. The aforementioned stats contributed to Champlin being awarded First Team All-District Offensive Athlete.
Next season, however, with the addition of a new head coach, along with a new offensive system, Champlin will be able to return to his natural position.
“I don’t think I really fit into the system last season...so I’m excited about the new season and the spread offense that our new head coach is bringing.” said Champlin. He continued, “I’m really looking forward to being involved more as a receiver this year and I’m looking to break the 1000 yard single-season receiving mark. I know once I get down the field, there aren’t a lot of people who can catch me."
Champlin’s speed is obviously his best aspect and the main topic of discussion about his game, but two features that often get overlooked are his hands and physicality. His hands, especially, were a concern amongst college coaches, due to his limited opportunities as a wideout.
"Obviously my hands were a concern, but after coaches would come and see my practices they were really impressed in how well I caught the ball,” said Champlin.
He also looks to prove he has the physicality to match up with other guys on the field.
“A lot of people say I’m not very physical and think they can push me around, but I’m not that guy. I’ve been putting on weight and am looking to prove that I’m not going to be the guy to get thrown around. I’m going to be able to hold my ground whether it’s blocking or when I’m carrying the ball,” added Champlin.
Along with excelling in football, Champlin is a dual-sport athlete who uses his speed to excel on the track, as well. Champlin clocks a 10.2 hand time in the 100m dash and runs in the high 46’s in the 400m dash.
To bring his junior season to a close, he competed in the class 4A State Meet, where he placed 5th in the 100m dash and 2nd in the 400m dash, running a blitzing 46.92. He was later named San Antonio Area’s Boys Track Athlete of the Year.
With guys who are dual-sport athletes, playing football and running track, they are usually categorized as “football players running track” or “track runners playing football”. Champlin feels he doesn’t specifically fit into either category and is confident he could excel in both at the next level.
“I’ve been told I could do either one. Obviously more people would consider me as more of a track runner because I haven’t really been able to show my talents on the football field, but I think I could do either,” said Champlin.
On whether he would consider competing in both sports at the college level, Champlin commented, “I have a passion for both sports. Honestly I could and want to do both, but I will eventually choose the one that’s going to give me the best opportunity to be successful.”
Champlin’s abilities, both on the track and football field, have sparked the interest of multiple college universities. Though he has yet to receive any offers, he has been in contact with the head coaches at UTSA for both sports and also the Baylor football coaches. He was also invited to and attended the camps held by Texas A&M and Texas Tech and will also be attending the UTSA camp this summer.
Champlin has expressed that he would like to play at a Big 12 school if given the opportunity.
“I would like to play in a high-tempo spread offense where throwing and spreading the ball is key, which is how a lot of teams in the Big 12 play,” said Champlin.
As for his upcoming senior season, Champlin has a chip on his shoulder and is looking to display that he has what it takes to make an impact at the next level.
“This year I’m going into the season with the mindset that I have something to prove to everybody. I want to show I can be a better wide receiver and can help out any college football program. With my speed, toughness and hands, I know I have what it takes to compete at the next level as a wide receiver,” added Champlin.
Champlin is currently TA’s 6th ranked receiver prospect.







TA’s Scouting Scoop: The fastest football player in Central Texas! Champlin is a two-stepper that makes opposing players look as if they are running backwards when chasing him. He catches the deep ball and runs the football extremely well. He is also a threat to run both kickoffs and punts back for touchdowns. He is a "big play" prospect waiting to explode. Champlin would rank higher at the receiver position had he not played in a heavy run-oriented offense this past season and had more opportunities to catch a lot more short to mid-range passes as opposed to just deep throws.



- Ashleigh D., Intern




No comments:

Post a Comment